top of page

The Appography Group

Public·15 members
William Franco
William Franco

The Martian Episode 1 [CRACKED]

The Martian Chronicles is a 1980 television three-episode miniseries based on Ray Bradbury's 1950 book The Martian Chronicles[1] and dealing with the exploration of Mars and the inhabitants there. The series starred Rock Hudson, Darren McGavin, Bernadette Peters, Roddy McDowall, Fritz Weaver, Barry Morse, and Maria Schell. It was aired on NBC in January 1980 in three episodes with a total running time of just over four hours (nearly five hours on the DVD version). The series depicts Mars as having a "thin atmosphere" which humans can breathe, with water-filled canals and desert-like vegetation. The miniseries was directed by Michael Anderson and written by Richard Matheson.[2][3]

The Martian Episode 1

The first episode starts at the scene of Viking 1 uncrewed probe landing on the surface of the planet Mars in July 1976. A narrator explains that the purpose of the probe is to determine whether Mars is inhabited. As the narrator is speaking, the viewer becomes aware that there are two viewpoints at NASA amongst the scientists who launched the probe: One group obviously believes Mars is uninhabited, the other is open to the possibility of indigenous life on the planet. Each has its convincing arguments, but ultimately the probe indicates that Mars does not harbor life. At the close of the scene the camera pans back to show a larger view of the probe's landing area, with what appears to be indigenous Martian settlements in the surrounding terrain, with the narrator noting that, "If the probe had landed just a few miles further on, things might have been different." Afterwards the opening credits roll.

In the second episode, Wilder returns to the Red Planet in February 2004 with an entire fleet of spaceships, having been appointed director of the American colonization of Mars. In six months, a dozen communities are laid down. These sites, named after the Zeus mission astronauts, include: "York Plain," "Blackville," "Wilder Mountain," "Spender Hill," "Briggs Canal," and "Lustig Creek." The colonies grow rapidly over the next two years with varying amounts of success, as the colonists bring the vices of Earth (greed, corruption, bureaucracy) with them.

The final segment of the episode focuses on Sam Parkhill, the only survivor (aside from Wilder) of the third Zeus mission. He has opened a diner on Mars with his wife, intending to serve future truckers and mine workers. When a lone Martian suddenly appears in the diner, Parkhill panics and shoots him. Numerous Martians appear in sand ships, and Parkhill takes his wife to his very own sand ship and flees. Parkhill manages to shoot several more of them, but the Martians eventually catch up and surround the couple's ship. To Parkhill's great surprise, they bear him no ill will; in fact, they give him a land grant to half of Mars and a message: "The night is tonight. Prepare." Unfortunately, the expected fleet of ten thousand rockets filled with one hundred thousand "hungry customers" will not be coming; instead, as Parkhill views Earth through a telescope, he sees it destroyed in nuclear fire.

As established at the end of the second episode, Mars was evacuated shortly before a worldwide nuclear war terminated all life on Earth. Wilder travels back to Earth in November 2006 in the hope he can rescue his brother and his family. He returns to the Zeus project mission control facility but discovers a video recording the deaths of everyone, including his brother, when enemy neutron bombs detonated nearby.

The conversation between Ylla (Maggie Wright), the Martian woman, and her husband, Mr. K (James Faulkner), from episode 1, The Expeditions, was sampled by electronic musician Biosphere in his song "The Third Planet".[5]

The first and best episode of the miniseries was The Expeditions. Starting with a recreation of Viking 1 landing on Mars in 1976, the episode jumps forward to the far future of 1999! The first manned spacecraft lands on Mars and the two astronauts aboard are promptly killed by the first Martian that they meet, an angry husband who thinks that one of the astronauts is going to have an affair with his wife.

Though she played the role of Megan Wheeler and for the most part followed the course of the source episode they were thrown in, parts of M'gann could seep through. She wanted forgiveness for her actions, and at the talent show in the episode's finale, changed the entire song for one filled with emotion. When Superboy forgave her and asked for forgiveness in turn, M'gann regained enough mental strength to get them all out.[80]

The fictional and non-fiction segments were closely connected, with current experts talking about subjects that were then illustrated during the drama segments. In episode 1, the mission commander was injured during landing on Mars and the ship landed far from its intended location near the habitat module. In episode 2, the crew trekked across the Martian surface and the commander died after they reached the laboratory module that would serve as their impromptu home. In episode 3, the crew sought to find an underground site to serve as their permanent base, succeeding in locating both protection and an ample supply of frozen water.

But perhaps, even though there are signs that the new administration may be more Moon-focused than Mars-focused, Mars is still going to remain the major cultural obsession it has become in the past few years. On Friday, National Geographic announced that it was renewing Mars for a second season. Figure that the next episodes will deal with things like the first baby born on Mars, cancer, and the development of an independent government. Let us hope that the acting and the stories will be a little less depressing.

Mat Kaplan:Oh, boy, Andy Weir and Rob Manning together this week on Planetary Radio. Welcome. I'm Mat Kaplan of The Planetary Society with more of the human adventure across our solar system and beyond. He is the author of The Martian, Artemis, and Project Hail Mary. The other guy is the Jet Propulsion Lab's chief engineer, a position he reached after establishing himself as the go-to guy for safely landing robots on Mars. Both have been heard here many times. I have dreamed of getting them together. Now with just three episodes to go as host, Andy and Rob will join me for one of the most entertaining, provocative, funny, and enlightening conversations in our 20-year history. It's also one of the longest, but I don't think most of you will mind.And if you stay till the end, you'll hear Bruce Betts reacting well to the 20th anniversary gift I'll give him. Incoming host, Sarah Al-Ahmed, will be here in a minute to help us celebrate the very successful completion of the Artemis 1 mission. And as you'll hear me mention to Sarah, I spent a couple of delightful hours at Navy Base San Diego on board the USS Portland. In that great ship's cavernous semi-submersible bay sat the Artemis 1 Orion capsule. The December 9 edition of the Downlink, our free weekly newsletter, came out too soon to capture the splash down, but it does mark the 50th anniversary of the last time humans visited the moon. That was Apollo 17, of course, with Gene Cernan, Ron Evans, and geologist Harrison Schmitt on the crew. There's a great photo of these heroes at planetary.org/downlink.The Planetary Society is also celebrating NASA's decision to launch the Near-Earth Object, or NEO Surveyor, in 2028. And thank goodness. We'll finally have that dedicated infrared space telescope that will find many more asteroids that cross our path. Want to know what a big space rock can do? How about the one that may have generated a tsunami 80 stories high? This wave may have swept across Mars a few billion years ago. That story and more are waiting for you along with the free digital edition of the Planetary Report, our quarterly magazine.Sarah, welcome back. I hope that I have just driven you green with envy because I know you've already seen the selfie I took as I was standing just a few feet away from the Orion capsule recovered as part of the Artemis 1 mission. So cool.

Mat Kaplan:And we're getting there. That's something that we may just see, nuclear power again in space before long. You have been amazingly generous with both your time and your creativity. I'm going to throw just one more at you that didn't occur to me until just moments before we started this thing. What makes me really want to bring it up now, Rob, is that you talked about our existence as physical beings. That's the phrase you used about an hour ago. So what if this best of all universe is a simulation? What if we're just zeros and ones in some vast cosmic computer or mind? I like the response from Coach Beard in Ted Lasso, which you may have caught in the episode that focused on Coach Beard. He said, "If this is all indeed a simulation, which everything in my experience suggests that it is, then all we can do is tip our caps to the rascal pulling the strings." I'd only add, thanks for the ride. Rob?

Bruce Betts:I ask forgiveness from the public. We've got three episodes left, Mat, with you as host guy. So I'm introducing Random Mat Kaplan Fact as a replacement segment for the next three weeks. Mat Kaplan's radio broadcasting career began in elementary school when his parents gave him a Remco AM Radio Transmitter as a kid. He could broadcast all of 50 feet. The world would never be the same.

Mat Kaplan:Thank you, Dave. Another great job. Here's our winner, Reese Naylor, first time winner, in Ontario, Canada. Yep, just about to turn 83. He adds, "Congratulations Mat, on a fantastic run. Thank you for all your work." You are very welcome, Reese, and we are going to send you a Planetary Society Kick Asteroid rubber asteroid. I like that. Patrick Luski in California said, "You know, 83 is the new 20. You look great." Jerry Robinette in Ohio is just one of those who shared that, "Out at Pluto, 20 Earth years is a toddling 0.08 years." He says, "I guess it's true what they say. Location, location, location." Patricia Bennett in Australia, her very first entry, and she gave us some verse. "At 88 days, it's spinning around. With 1,000 episodes, it's 20 years bound. But if I were a Mercurian, I'd be 83. Maybe as old as Mat. Hee, hee." First and last maybe, Patricia. But, no, I'm very entertained. Thank you. 041b061a72

About

This will be the space for members to discuss the secrets of...

Members

•  SchüRm$_HIMself
    Early Member, Down from the jump. Since Day One. Much Love.Day One
    Subscribe to Any CategorySubscriber
  • Ezra Rivera
    Ezra Rivera
  • Yeremey Fomin
    Yeremey Fomin
  • Robert Anderson
    Robert Anderson
  • William Franco
    William Franco